Fund Complex: Praxis Mutual Funds
Management Company: (1) Everence Capital Management, Inc. (2) Everence Capital Management. Sub-advisor: Aperio Group, LLC
Funds Affected: (1) Praxis Genesis Balanced Fund, Praxis Conservative Fund, Praxis Genesis Growth Fund, (2) Praxis Growth Index Fund, Praxis Small Cap Index, Praxis Value Index and Praxis International Index, (3) Praxis Impact Bond Fund
Sustainable Investing Strategy: (1-3) Religious/Ethical, Exclusions, ESG Integration
(1-3) The funds, both actively and passively managed funds, seek to avoid companies that are deemed inconsistent with the Stewardship Investing core values, as discussed below. The funds integrate consideration of the impact of environmental, social and governance practices into each investment decision.
Praxis Mutual Funds are designed to help people and groups integrate their finances with their values. Praxis is a comprehensive faith-based financial services organization helping individuals, organizations and congregations. Praxis believes that the Great Commandment tells us to: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” – Mark 12:30-31. The fund firm notes that when it applies the Great Commandment to money, it means combining concerns about the impact of investments on others as much as about the financial returns that are received.
At Praxis, this is done through stewardship investing – a philosophy of financial decision making that balances social and financial considerations and is motivated and informed by our faith convictions.
Stewardship Investing involves the analyses of potential investments for their ability to reflect certain core social values including:
- Respecting the dignity and value of all people
- Building a world at peace and free from violence
- Demonstrating a concern for justice in a global society
- Exhibiting responsible management practices
- Supporting and involving communities
- Practicing environmental stewardship
(2) The firm’s Stewardship Investing Philosophy also applies to its index funds. The firm or its sub-adviser, as the case may be, begins with the universe of stocks that comprise the index, either the S&P 500 Growth Index, the S&P 500 Value Index, the S&P SmallCap 600 Index or the MSCI ACWI ex USA Index (Net) and then seeks to avoid companies that are deemed inconsistent with the Stewardship Investing core values described above.
(3) Avoids investments in U.S. Treasury bills, notes and bonds.